Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Day 42 and still waiting! Shopping in China, not so convenient

It's my son's 23 birthday today. I waited to post hoping for good news from our agency. Hoping our pre-approval would come today.
I did a lot of running around today with Jade Lin, to the ATM machine for Cory's birthday money, to the fabric store to return material that was marked wrong and I paid way too much for, to another fabric store where I had a 40% off coupon and found cuter fabric;-), to get tabs for our van. I had to make real coffee with caffeine, for a pick me up, which I couldn't drink if I were pregnant so I'm thankful I'm only dealing with PAS (Pre-adoption syndrome) and not the real thing;=-)

I laid Meizi Meilin's clothes out last night to take inventory and see what outfits I had and how many leggings. I didn't bring enough warm pants for Jade Lin last time and shopping is very different in China then here in the US. When you buy something, you leave the item with the salesgirl, who gives you a little bill for it. You take the bill to a counter, usually in the center of the floor, and pay the cashier. She gives you a receipt, which you return to the saleslady, who presents you with a wrapped package. Not very convenient when you are shopping with a new 12 month old that just met you days ago and is past her nap and tired of the whole touring thing and it is meal time, so I didn't buy enough warm clothes in China, either. We were never told about this shopping system at our travel meetings and I would have found it very useful to know about this system, ahead of time, so hopefully this will help parent's that are getting ready to travel to China. The best way to shop I guess is get everything you want, then get all the receipts and pay for everything at once. I wanted to buy two pairs of shoes for Jade Lin, after selecting an outfit for her but Scott was already paying for the outfit and I didn't want to go through the whole system again, so needless to say, I didn't get everything I wanted. Just a "heads-up" tip;-)
I need to buy smaller leggings for Meizi Meilin. I kept Jade Lin's, which are a size three but I know Meizi Meilin will drown in them. She is tiny, only 17.8 lbs at 18 mo. so I need 9-12 months and maybe smaller. The girls from Gao Zhou are all tall but with tiny waists. I told Scott I wouldn't buy any more till we got to China but I forgot about the department store, purchasing system and how much I didn't care for it and what a hassle it is, so I'm going to keep hunting for the bargains and big sales and once I land a job, Scott won't object as much;-)I am going to buy a couple of special outfits in China for Meizi Meilin, like I did for Jade Lin. I found a beautiful winter coat and ski pants set that is embroidered with a rose on a red jacket and came with matching ski pants. It is a traditional Chinese design, very warm and very well made. You can see the jacket in my favorite photo of Jade Lin, in China. It was nap time and she was DONE with touring;-) I love that her friend, "Hannah", in the background, is all smiles;-)
Please hurry PA/LOA and give me some relieve from PAS

No comments: