Tuesday, October 30, 2007

October 13th, 2007

I have to wish my brother, Craig a Happy Birthday today!

last night, I doubled up a feather bed and laid it on the floor for Meizi. She is terrified of the crib and won't sleep in it. I find out that the babies from Meizi's orphanage were tied into their cribs because of the size of the infant cribs, they were able to climb out and there were only 5 nannies for 20 babies. Meizi sleeps wonderfully on the feather bed and sleeps all through the night, which is such a comfort to us. I put a pillow in front of the night stand so she wouldn't hit her head and she slept like an angel;-)

Today we met up with the other couple from our agency that lives in Mankato, Dave and Kristen. Their daughter, Meili, just turned two and is adorable! They are in the photos at the medical exam with us. We took them shopping in the little stores along the streets near our hotel. We shopped for summer dresses for the girls since it was still so warm in Guangzhou and the clothes I brought for Meizi were much to big. She is only the size of a year old and the clothes I brought were all 24 mo and larger. The store that we bought the girl's dresses at were having a super sale. We got the little dresses for about 3.50 US dollars. We also showed Dave and Kristen the little grocery store that we had been buying all of our water and supplies at. They are conveniently next door to the dress shop.

Before shopping we all walked to get the girl's photos taken that would go on their Visas and from there walked to the medical exam. It was a very simple exam and quick. The girls were weighed, their sight and hearing were checked by shaking rattles to see how they would respond. Their temperatures were taken and the doctors listened to the girl's hearts and lungs. There was only one moment where I panicked. We were told by our guide, Peter to bring the medical report we have received on Meizi's special need that came with our referral but we weren't told that the doctors would want the original in Chinese and I didn't have it! I panicked and told Peter we would have to have Crossroads fax one over to China. The doctor seeing how upset I had become, took the English report and stamped her forms. We were done and out of there.

Tonight we are all going on a dinner, boat cruise along the Pearl River with Dave, Kristen, Meili and Peter, our guide. I can't wait, I have been looking forward to this cruise since we were in China in 2002. We didn't go then and I have always regretted it. The view of the river with all the boats and buildings lit up was just beautiful! It was a perfect night, warm and calm.

Tomorrow we are touring the Chen Family Museum and the Banyan Buddhist Temple together. I'm sure we will have many more beautiful photos to share;-)

Today was Meizi's best day. We saw how happy and active she can be and it was really fun! We taped her as she giggled and crawled all over the bed. We heard her say her 1st word, which was Baba (Daddy in Mandarin) I was hoping it would be Mama but that's ok;-)

No comments: